We all know the struggle of heading back to work after a glorious weekend and having to step back into work mode when all you want to do is stay in bed — it’s the dreaded “Monday blues.” But, never fear — there might just be a way for you to boost your mood naturally: Eating! Yes, that’s right. Here are 7 foods that are guaranteed to make your day just a little bit better:
1. Legumes – This includes beans, peas and peanuts which are all chock full of magnesium and keep you powered up all day
Source: Shutterstock / Rob Hainer
2. Walnuts – Walnuts are a superfood with a mean source of serotonin — the feel-good chemical released in the brain
3. Coffee – As much as there is controversy about the benefits of coffee, it is a beverage that makes us generally feel good. Drinking two cups of java daily reduces the risk of depression — hey, that’s something to smile about.
4. Omega-3 foods – These foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, tuna and avocado help protect against mood disorders. Check one for good fats!
Source: Shutterstock/Natalia Klenova
5. Turmeric – This bright yellow spice you can find in many Indian dishes contains curcumin, which is a natural anti-depressant. Might as well fill up on amazing Indian food and get happy!
7. Chicken – Oh good! Something most of us love but sometimes feel guilty eating. Again with serotonin – poultry and eggs contain tryptophan which pumps out the happy chemical and gives us the good feels. So don’t be afraid to chow down on chicken wings and turkey. They are a natural mood-booster for the win!