Sony Hack Debacle Continues, North Korea Increases Demands

The FBI has officially confirmed North Korea is responsible for the cyber hack against Sony Pictures and now North Korea is increasing their demands.

Source: youtube

Source: youtube

Sony has canceled the release of Seth Rogen and James Franco’s The Interview, but that wasn’t good enough. They want to be sure it is NEVER released, in any way. A new message received by top executives and obtained by CNN said, “We want everything related to the movie, including its trailers, as well as its full version down from any website hosting them immediately.” They also included that it should never come out on DVD, pay per-view or VOD.

Source: Instagram

Source: Instagram

The specific malware and IP addresses connected to previous attacks, lead all fingers pointing back to North Korea. The White House has labeled the Sony breach as a serious national matter and the FBI are treating the hack as an act of terrorism intended to “inflict significant harm on a U.S. business and suppress the right of American citizens to express themselves.”

Earlier this week, the NYC premiere of the film was canceled which was shortly followed by the entire release of the film being scrapped. The hackers, who call themselves the “Guardians of Peace” threatened attacks similar to that of September 11th 2001 and once the major theaters pulled it off the reels, Sony pulled the plug. The released statement read:

In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the
film The Interview, we have decided not to move forward with the
planned December 25 theatrical release. We respect and understand our partners’
decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety
of employees and theater-goers.

Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against
our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our
intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material,
and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the
release of a movie they did not like. We are deeply saddened at this brazen
effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to
our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers
and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this
outcome.

Mixed opinions on the ordeal are floating around. Many think it’s better to be safe than sorry and it’s not worth risking people’s lives over a movie. Others feel America is giving in to North Korea and letting them take away the right to freedom of speech. Rob Lowe, who also stars in the film, posted to Twitter after seeing co-star Rogen at the airport. He compared Hollywood’s cancellation of the film to Neville Chamberlain’s decision to sign the controversial Munich Agreement.

More celebrities shared their frustrations, including film maker Michael Moore.

President Obama held a press conference this afternoon and also disagreed with the final decision Sony made.

“I am sympathetic to the concerns that [Sony] faced. Having said all that, yes, they made a mistake.We cannot have a society where a dictator someplace else can start imposing censorship here in the United States. That’s not who we are. That’s not what America is.”

In an interview with Deadline, George Clooney met Lowes level of disappointment and shared his opinion on the situation, feeling Hollywood should not have allowed North Korea to threaten them – “We’re talking about an actual country deciding what content we’re going to have. This affects not just movies, this affects every part of business that we have. That’s the truth.”

Source: giphy

Source: giphy